This 1998 action movie is a rollicking, fast-paced, sea monster film written and directed by Stephen Sommers before he started making hackwork like The Mummy Returns and Van Helsing.
Right down to the final scene, Deep Rising is clearly the work of someone who flat-out loves monster movies.
If you decide to give it a watch, take note: This movie has no heroes. Finnegan and his crew are smugglers, hired by mercenaries, to rob a cruise liner.
Treat Williams’ part was supposed to go to Harrison Ford! I supposed that makes Mason’s line to Finnegan, “I thought you’d be older,” funny.
- If the cash is there, we do not care
- Don’t hit the temperamental electronics. You might need them
- You should do something, but I find you live longer if you don’t
- Six arrests, five convictions, and wanted notices in four countries isn’t easy, but you can accomplish it when you’re young if you work at it
- If you take contracts without asking questions, sooner or later, one will bit you in the butt
- When the expert bad asses start to freak out, it’s time for some serious lateral thinking
- Jail is better than being eaten
- Sometimes all you need to know is that the thing trying to kill you is “real unfriendly”
- When you’re having a bad day, just be glad you’re not trapped on a sinking luxury liner under attack by a giant squid
Remember, it’s the ones who best adapt to change that survive.