It was nominated for thirteen Prime Time Emmy Awards and won two, but more importantly, it captured both the attention of critics and audience instantly making it one of the hottest television series in recent years.
Based upon the book series by George R.R. Martin, Game of Thrones is a must see for both fans of the genre and the medium and fortunately comes to DVD and Blu-ray on March 6th, prior to the premiere of it’s second season on HBO on April 15th, giving audiences plenty of time to either revisit or watch the series for the first time.
Full press release and interior packaging art after the jump.
“Epic Win!” – Time Magazine“Pulls you in…doesn’t let go” – Los Angeles TimesGAME OF THRONES®: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASONAvailable March 6, 2012 on Blu-ray™ Disc, DVD and Digital DownloadLoaded with Exclusive Bonus Content Including Comprehensive Histories,
Anatomy of an Episode, In Episode Guides & Much More!Game of Thrones, one of the most elaborate and visually striking series on television, makes its highly-anticipated Blu-ray, DVD and digital download debut on March 6, 2012. Based on George R.R. Martin’s best-selling series A Song of Ice and Fire, the sweeping fantasy saga instantly became one of HBO’s biggest hits. Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season five-disc BD ($79.98) and DVD ($59.99) sets contain a monumental array of bonus materials and interactive features that will thrill fans of the series and new viewers alike.Game of Thrones is “tantalizing” (Los Angeles Times), “excellent” (The Hollywood Reporter) and an “HBO Triumph” (Boston Globe) that won two 2011 Emmy® awards including Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series (Peter Dinklage). The drama follows kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars and noblemen as they vie for power in a land where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime. Two powerful families are engaged in a deadly cat-and-mouse game for control of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros. As betrayal, lust, intrigue and supernatural forces shake the four corners of the Kingdoms, their bloody struggle for the Iron Throne will have unforeseen and far-reaching consequences.Bonus Material
The Blu-ray and DVD bonus materials included in Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season are as epic as the show it represents. A full length, 60 minute Anatomy of an Episode, extensive In-Episode Guides, meticulous histories and fascinating behind-the-scenes featurettes all detail the exceptional storytelling, superb acting and stunning visual effects that went into making this sprawling production. Content includes:
Blu-ray – includes all DVD features plus:· Blu-ray Complete Guide to Westeros – an interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one, PLUS 24 exclusive histories of the Seven Kingdoms as told by the characters themselves done with animated illustrations that provide more information on the background of Game of Thrones.
· In-Episode Guide – in-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations, and relevant histories while each episode plays.
· Anatomy of an Episode – an in-episode experience that explores the creative minds and colossal efforts behind episode six, “A Golden Crown.”
· Hidden Dragon Eggs – find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.DVD:· Complete Guide to Westeros – an interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one.
· Making Game of Thrones –an exclusive 30-minute feature including never-before-seen footage from the set and interviews from the cast and crew.
· Character Profiles – profiles of 15 major characters as described by the actors portraying them.
· Creating the Show Open – an inside look at the creation of the Emmy®-winning opening title sequence for Game of Thrones.
· From the Book to the Screen – executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss along with author George R.R. Martin talk about the challenges of bringing Martin’s epic fantasy novel to life on HBO.
· The Night’s Watch – an in-depth look at the unique order of men who patrol and protect the Wall, a 700 foot ice structure that separates the Seven Kingdoms from the darkness beyond.
· Creating the Dothraki Language – an insightful glance into the comprehensive language created for the Dothraki people in Game of Thrones.
· Audio Commentaries – Seven audio commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Mark Addy, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Isaac Hempstead Wright, Bryan Cogman, Harry Lloyd, Daniel Minahan and Alan Taylor.
Game of Thrones series regulars include (in alphabetical order): Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon, Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy, Sean Bean as Lord Eddard “Ned” Stark, Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jaime Lannister, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, Michelle Fairley as Lady Catelyn Stark, Aidan Gillen as Petyr Baelish (“Littlefinger”), Jack Gleeson as Prince Joffrey Baratheon, Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont, Kit Harington as Jon Snow, Lena Headey as Queen Cersei Lannister, Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark, Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen, Richard Madden as Robb Stark, Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane (“The Hound”), Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark and Maisie Williams as Arya Stark. The series is executive produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; co-executive producers, Carolyn Strauss, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, Ralph Vicinanza and George R.R. Martin; producers, Mark Huffam and Frank Doelger; directors include Brian Kirk, Daniel Minahan, Alan Taylor and Tim Van Patten; writers include David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Bryan Cogman, Jane Espenson and George R.R. Martin.