Years ago I had the pleasure of interviewing Joey Stern, the President of the LGBT non-profit Geeks OUT. At that time, they were a rapidly growing group of queer geeks with monthly meet ups centered around some pretty fantastic themed events. The first one I attended was called Takei Back The Night, which was a silent auction of great independent artists tributes to the actor/activist.
Full transparency here, I’m a board member now of Geeks OUT, and a founding member of our annual Flame Con, but I need to shout this from the mountaintops…
FLAME CON 2 is going to be EPIC!
Last year’s first ever LGBT comic con in New York City really exceeded our expectations. The sold out event had a few limitations, mainly due to the size. So we’ve expanded the event to two days, and this year we’re at the beautiful (and air-conditioned) Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn!
You can check out the full line-up of over 100 exhibitors, two days of full panels, special guests and more planned for the event at FlameCon.org where you’ll also find a link to purchase tickets. We encourage everyone and anyone to come check out the event
Everyone and anyone is invited to attend, plus it’s in Brooklyn, baby, and will tie you over until New York Comic Con, and just after your wallet recovers from Boston Comic Con.
Here are just some of the highlights:
Special guests on the FLAME CON 2 roster include:
- Chris Claremont, legendary X-Men writer
- Dax ExclamationPoint, the Queen of all Nerds from Rupaul’s Drag Race
- Cecil Baldwin, voice of the hit podcast Welcome to Night Vale
- Terry Blas, creator of the You Say Latino mini comic, the Briar Hollow webcomic, and cover artist on Bravest Warriors, Regular Show, The Amazing World of Gumball and Adventure Time
- Aimee Fleck, Lumberjanes artist, Adventure Time: Banana Guard Academy cover artist, and creator of the fashion comic Damn, Girl That Style Is Fat
- Matthew Waterhouse, Actor and Writer (Doctor Who’s Adric!)
- Phil Jimenez, superstar writer-artist on Wonder Woman, Justice League, New X-Men, Fairest, The Invisibles, and numerous other comics
- Jay Justice, costumer, cosplayer, gamer, writer, actress and activist
- James Tynion IV, writer of Constantine: The Hellblazer, The Woods, and Mimetic
- Kevin Wada, comics couture sensation and cover illustrator on She-Hulk and Catwoman
- Steve Orlando, DC comic author of Midnighter and Supergirl
- Kate Leth, writer of The Bravest Warriors and Marvel’s Hellcat
- Jennie Wood, creator of the graphic novel series Flutter and the YA novel A Boy Like Me