DC Entertainment has announced the next wave of titles, authors and artists for the publisher’s upcoming young reader imprints, DC Ink and DC Zoom.
Marieke Nijkamp, the #1 New York Times best-selling YA author of This Is Where It Ends, will bring her storytelling to DC’s young adult line of graphic novels—DC Ink—with an original tale about a teenage Oracle, the superhero alter-ego that Barbara Gordon assumes after an encounter with The Joker confines her to a wheelchair. ORACLE: RISING will be joined by another tale about a teenage Batgirl, Cassandra Cain, in SHADOW OF THE BATGIRL, written by acclaimed author Sarah Kuhn, known for her popular Heroine Complex novels.
Additional DC Ink titles announced today include: TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES: A JACK HYDE STORY, the working title of an Aqualad story written by award-winning author Alex Sanchez (Rainbow Boys); DICK GRAYSON: LOST CARNIVAL, written by critically acclaimed comics writer Michael Moreci (Roche Limit); and Leigh Bardugo’s WONDER WOMAN: WARBRINGER, which will be adapted from its prose form into a graphic novel by writer Louise Simonson.
DC Zoom, DC’s middle grade graphic novel line, will introduce its first story starring Wonder Woman in DIANA, PRINCESS OF THE AMAZONS, written by Shannon and Dean Hale. Past collaborations from the husband-and-wife duo include the Eisner-nominated Rapunzel’s Revenge graphic novel and Marvel’s bestselling The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl prose novel series. Shannon Hale is also the Newbery Honor-winning author of the Princess Academy series and the New York Times best-selling Real Friends.
New artists and on-sale dates for previously announced titles were also revealed today. Gurihiru Studios will provide illustrations for Gene Luen Yang’s SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN, Andie Tong will draw Minh Lê’s GREEN LANTERN: LEGACY graphic novel, Gustavo Duarte will join author Michael Northrop on DEAR JUSTICE LEAGUE and Thomas Pitilli has been tapped to illustrate Melissa de la Cruz’s GOTHAM HIGH graphic novel.
DC also announced Chris Wildgoose as the artist for Stuart Moore’s adaptation of Marie Lu’s BATMAN: NIGHTWALKER and revealed the graphic novel’s official cover, which can be seen above.
Both publishing lines will launch in April 2019 with previously announced titles MERA: TIDEBREAKER (DC Ink), written by Danielle Paige and illustrated by Stephen Byrne; and SUPER SONS: THE POLARSHIELD PROJECT (DC Zoom), written by Ridley Pearson with art by Ile Gonzalez.
The complete list of DC Ink and DC Zoom titles and creative teams announced to date include:
- DC Ink:
- MERA: TIDEBREAKER (April 2019)—written by Danielle Paige and illustrated by Stephen Byrne
- UNDER THE MOON: A CATWOMAN TALE (May 2019)—written by Lauren Myracle and illustrated by Isaac Goodhart
- HARLEY QUINN: BREAKING GLASS (June 2019)—written by Mariko Tamaki and illustrated by Steve Pugh
- TEEN TITANS: RAVEN (July 2019)—written by Kami Garcia and illustrated by Gabriel Picolo
- BATMAN: NIGHTWALKER (August 2019)—adapted by Stuart Moore from Marie Lu’s prose novel for the DC Icon series and illustrated by Chris Wildgoose
- DICK GRAYSON: LOST CARNIVAL—written by Michael Moreci
- GOTHAM HIGH—written by Melissa de la Cruz and illustrated by Thomas Pitilli
- ORACLE RISING—written by Marieke Nijkamp
- SHADOW OF THE BATGIRL—written by Sarah Kuhn
- TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES: A JACK HYDE STORY—written by Alex Sanchez (working title)
- WONDER WOMAN: TEMPEST TOSSED—written by Laurie Halse Anderson
- WONDER WOMAN: WARBRINGER—adapted by Louise Simonson from Leigh Bardugo’s prose novel for the DC Icon series
- DC Zoom:
- SUPER SONS: THE POLARSHIELD PROJECT (April 2019)—written by Ridley Pearson and illustrated by Ile Gonzalez
- DC SUPER HERO GIRLS: SPACED OUT (May 2019)—written by Shea Fontana and illustrated by Agnes Garbowska
- SUPERMAN OF SMALLVILLE (June 2019)—written and illustrated by Art Baltazar & Franco
- DEAR JUSTICE LEAGUE (July 2019)—written by Michael Northrop and illustrated by Gustavo Duarte
- BATMAN: OVERDRIVE (August 2019)—written by Shea Fontana and illustrated by Marcelo Di Chiara
- BLACK CANARY: IGNITE (October 2019)—written by Meg Cabot and illustrated by Cara McGee
- BATMAN TALES: ONCE UPON A CRIME (November 2019)—written by Derek Fridolfs and illustrated by Dustin Nguyen
- GREEN LANTERN: LEGACY (December 2019)—written by Minh Lê and illustrated by Andie Tong
- DIANA, PRINCESS OF THE AMAZONS—written by Shannon and Dean Hale
- SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN—written by Gene Luen Yang and illustrated by Gurihiru Studios
DC Zoom and DC Ink talent Danielle Paige, Sarah Kuhn, Art Baltazar, Franco, Agnes Garbowska, Dustin Nguyen and Monica Kubina will share new details about their upcoming books on DC’s DC for Young Readers panel at SDCC on Friday, July 20, from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. in room 9 of the convention center.
About DC Entertainment:
DC Entertainment, home to iconic brands DC (Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, the Flash), DC Vertigo (Sandman, Fables) and MAD, is the creative division charged with strategically integrating its content across Warner Bros. Entertainment and WarnerMedia. DC Entertainment works in concert with many key Warner Bros. divisions to unleash its stories and characters across all media, including but not limited to film, television, consumer products, home entertainment and interactive games. Publishing thousands of comic books, graphic novels and magazines each year, DC is one of the largest English-language publishers of comics in the world.