There is magic in the air as the weather grows cooler and the holidays grow closer. And you know what that means? A whole heap of sickly-sweet Christmas themed movies and specials explaining exactly why your life sucks because you:
a) are not in a relationship
b) you don’t have a perfect family
c) you are unable to make a wish come true
d) some combo of all of the above.
As December closes in, Netflix doubles down on the season by baking up their own holiday treats. 5 Star Christmas, the limited series Free Rein: The Twelve Neighs of Christmas and Prince of Peoria: A Christmas Moose Miracle are just a few of the holiday-based programming the streaming service is offering for the Santa season.
Not to get lost amongst the feel-good family fare, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: A Midwinter’s Tale also makes its debut this month. The holiday special featuring America’s most adorable Satanist is set to debut on Dec. 14.
For those of you who are more about staying indoors to avoid the cold than the impending arrival of Santa, Netflix offers a massive about of original content to keep you cozy on the couch.
This month, Netflix rolls out the crime drama Bad Blood, which follows the exploits of a Canadian mob family. Starring Anthony LaPaglia and Kim Coates, the series debuts on Dec. 7.
Moving to true crime, series ReMastered: Who Killed Jam Master Jay? takes a look at the unsolved murder of the music industry icon, interviewing friends and family looking to finally find answers.
Also on Dec. 7, a star-studded cast of Hollywood’s best join this retelling of the classic tale from Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book. Directed by Andy Serkis, Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle offers a new take on the story of the orphan raised by animals.
Among the heavy hitters this month is also Alfonso Cuarón’s ROMA, debuting on Dec. 14. The Oscar winner offers an original drama chronicling the life of a middle-class family in 1970s Mexico.
Also on Dec. 14, murderous mermaids are now a thing with Tidelands, the thriller series about sea sirens.
And finally, for those of you that were not significantly scarred enough in childhood with the memory of adorable bunnies ripping each other to shreds, Netflix wants to finish the job with the limited series of Watership Down.
(All synopses from Netflix’s official site unless otherwise noted.)
- 8 Mile
- Astro Boy
- Battle (Netflix Original Film): “After Amalie’s dad goes bankrupt, the young dancer’s affluent life collapses. But she finds a new beat to follow after meeting hip-hop dancer Mikael.”
- Bride of Chucky
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
- Crossroads: One Two Jaga (Netflix Original Film): “In Kuala Lumpur, an abused domestic worker tries to escape to Indonesia, while an idealistic cop insists on fighting corruption — at a heavy price.”
- Friday After Next
- Man vs Wild with Sunny Leone (Season 1)
- Meet Joe Black
- Memories of the Alhambra (Streaming Every Saturday; Netflix Original Series): “While looking for the cryptic creator of an innovative augmented-reality game, an investment firm executive meets a woman who runs a hostel in Spain.”
- My Bloody Valentine
- Next Friday
- Reindeer Games
- Seven Pounds
- Shaun of the Dead
- Terminator Salvation
- The Big Lebowski
- The Great British Baking Show: Masterclass (Season 5)
- The Last Dragon
- The Man Who Knew Too Little
- The Lobster
- Blue Planet II (Season 1)
- Hero Mask
- The Sound of Your Heart: Reboot (Season 2; Netflix Original Series): “Webtoonist Cho Seok is back with more anecdotes of mix-ups, unintended antics, and bathroom blunders in this reboot starring an all-new cast.”
- District 9
- Happy! (Season 1)
- 5 Star Christmas (Netflix Original Film): “When the Italian prime minister meets his lover and political rival while on an official trip to Budapest during Christmas week, things go topsy-turvy.”
- Bad Blood (Netflix Original Series): “This sprawling crime drama follows the true story of the Rizzuto family and its associates, who presided over organized crime in Montreal for decades.” Starring Anthony LaPaglia, Kim Coates, Enrico Colantoni.
- Dogs of Berlin (Netflix Original Series): “Two cops investigate the murder of a famous Turkish-German soccer player, but one of them has underworld connections that mire the case in controversy.”
- Dumplin’ (Netflix Original Film): “To prove a point about measuring up and fitting in, Texas teen Willowdean Dickson enters a local pageant run by her ex-beauty queen mom.”
- Free Rein: The Twelve Neighs of Christmas (Netflix Original Series): “As Bright Fields preps for its Mistletoe Ball, a broken ornament leads Zoe to a family secret, while Gaby finds herself at the mercy of new boss Mia.”
- Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle (Netflix Original Film): “An orphaned boy raised by animals in the jungle seizes his destiny while confronting a dangerous enemy — and his own human origins.”
- Nailed It! Holiday! (Netflix Original): “It’s the “Nailed It!” holiday special you’ve been waiting for, with missing ingredients, impossible asks and desserts that look delightfully sad. “
- Neo Yokio: Pink Christmas (Netflix Original Movie): The Christmas special of the super popular anime that follows Kaz Kaan as he explores supernatural forces in the upper-crust of society.
- Pine Gap (Netflix Original Series): “At top-secret U.S.-Australian joint defense facility Pine Gap, fissures appear in the critical alliance as spies work with, and against, each other.”
- ReMastered: Who Killed Jam Master Jay? (Netflix Original Special): “Run-D.M.C. DJ Jam Master Jay made a huge impact in music and his community. But friends and family still seek closure years after his unsolved murder.”
- Super Monsters and the Wish Star (Netflix Original Special): A holiday special for this CGI animation featuring the teeny tiny versions of classic monsters.
- The American Meme (Netflix Original Docu): “Social media stars Paris Hilton, Josh Ostrovsky, Brittany Furlan and Kirill Bichutsky hustle to build online empires — and face the pitfalls of fame.”
- The Hook Up Plan (Plan Coeur) (Netflix Original Movie): “When Parisian Elsa gets hung up on her ex, her best friends secretly hire a male escort to help her move on. But their plan works a little too well.”
- The Ranch (Part 6; Netflix Original Series): “Being a pro athlete didn’t pan out for Colt. Now he’s helping his dad and brother keep the ranch afloat, and figuring out how he fits into the family.”
- Michael Jackson’s This Is It
Vir Das: Losing It (Netflix Original Special): “In a new stand-up special, comedian Vir Das touches on world travel, religion, a childhood illness, his desire to be an Indian superhero and more.”
- Back Street Girls: Gokudols (Netflix Original): “To pay for an epic blunder, three yakuza brothers are forced to alter their bodies, form a girl group and break into the underground J-Pop idol scene.”
- Out of Many, One (Netflix Original Movie): “The new documentary Out of Many, One is a loving profile of the Citizenship Project, the New-York Historical Society’s free program that assists green card holders in preparing for the USCIS Naturalization Exam, which tests knowledge of United States history and civics.” – Official Film Society Lincoln Center
- Wanted (Season 3; Netflix Original): “Polar-opposite strangers Lola and Chelsea become partners on the run when they witness a murder involving dirty cops and are framed for the crime.”
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: A Midwinter’s Tale (Netflix Original Special): Holiday special featuring the half-human, half-witch Sabrina and her adventures in both the mortal world and the world of the Dark Lord.
- Cuckoo (Season 4; Netflix Original Series): “Rachel shocks her proper British parents when she marries an American hippie, but it’s just the first in a series of surprises for the family.”
- Dance & Sing with True: Songs (Netflix Original Special): “True and her friends are making music — and they want you to dance and sing along. So cut loose, silly goose! These fun beats are totally sweet.”
- Fuller House (Season 4; Netflix Original Series): “The Tanner family’s adventures continue as DJ Tanner-Fuller shares a home with her sister Stephanie and friend Kimmy who help raise her three boys.”
- Inside the Real Narcos (Netflix Original Special): “Exposing a rarely seen perspective on the drug wars, ex-Special Forces commando Jason Fox interviews dangerous traffickers and cartel members.”
- Inside the World’s Toughest Prisons (Season 3; Netflix Original): “Investigative journalists become voluntary inmates in the world’s most volatile prisons, where intimidation and brutality rule.”
- Prince of Peoria: A Christmas Moose Miracle (Netflix Original Special): “A prankster prince who wants to experience life as an ordinary teen leaves his kingdom to live incognito with a single mom and her studious son.”
- ROMA (Netflix Original Film): “This film from Oscar winner Alfonso Cuarón chronicles a tumultuous year in the life of a middle-class family in Mexico City in the early 1970s.”
- Sunderland Til I Die (Netflix Original Docuseries): “This docuseries follows English soccer club Sunderland through the 2017-18 season as they cope with relegation from the Premier League.”
- The Fix (Netflix Original Series): “In this panel show, a rotating group of top comedians will take on the world’s toughest problems and try to come up with the perfect solutions.”
- The Innocent Man (Netflix Original Docuseries): John Grisham six-part docuseries based on the 2006 tome. Series follows the events that followed two murders in Oklahoma in the ‘80s.
- The Protector (Netflix Original Series): “Given mystical powers by a talismanic keepsake, a young man embarks on a quest to fight shadowy forces and solve a mystery from his past.”
- Tidelands (Netflix Original Series): “After an ex-con returns to her fishing village, a dead body leads her to uncover the secrets of the town and its half-Siren/half-human residents.”
- Travelers (Season 3; Netflix Original Series): “A federal agent tracks four people who suddenly seem to possess entirely new personalities, leading to a startling discovery about humanity’s future.”
- Voltron: Legendary Defender (Season 8; Netflix Original Series): “In an all-new series, five unlikely heroes and their flying robot lions unite to form the megapowerful Voltron and defend the universe from evil.”
- Baby Mama
- Kill the Messenger
- One Day
- Springsteen on Broadway (Netflix Original): “In this acclaimed show based on his best-selling autobiography, Bruce Springsteen performs acoustic versions of his music and shares personal stories.”
- The Theory of Everything
- Baki (Netflix Original Series): “While martial arts champion Baki Hanma trains hard to surpass his legendary father, five violent death row inmates descend upon Tokyo to take him on.”
- Ellen DeGeneres: Relatable (Netflix Original Special): “Ellen DeGeneres’s new stand-up special coming 2018.”
- Terrace House: Opening New Doors (Part 5; Netflix Original Series): “In the woods of Karuizawa, six strangers meet for the first time. Doors to love are about to open in a place known for sports and natural beauty.”
- 3Below: Tales of Arcadia (Netflix Original Movie): “After crash-landing in Arcadia, two royal teen aliens struggle to blend in as they evade intergalactic bounty hunters. Created by Guillermo del Toro.”
- Bad Seeds (Netflix Original Film): “Troubled by his past, a scam artist who runs a petty racket with his adoptive mom finds redemption while mentoring a group of difficult students.”
- Bird Box (Netflix Original Film): “Five years after a wave of mass suicides decimates the population, a woman and her two children embark on a desperate, dangerous quest for sanctuary.”
- Derry Girls (Netflix Original Series): “New candid and family-centred comedy from writer Lisa McGee, set during The Troubles in Northern Ireland” – Channel 4
- Diablero (Netflix Original Series): “A young priest enlists the help of a demon hunter and a paranormal expert to search for a kidnapped girl in the underworld of Mexico City.”
- Greenleaf (Season 3)
- Last Hope (Part 2; Netflix Original Limited Series): “After causing the near extinction of mankind seven years ago, genius scientist Leon Lau must now fight the ecological disaster he unwittingly created.”
- Perfume (Netflix Original Series)
- Sirius the Jaeger (Netflix Original Series): “In imperial Tokyo, a group calling themselves “Jaegers” secretly hunt the vampires seeking the Ark of Sirius. Among them is young werewolf, Yuliy.”
- Struggle: The Life and Lost Art of Szukalski (Netflix Original Film): “The remarkable life story of the pre-war Polish artist Stanislav Szukalski, documented by the American friends he made late in life.” – Mubi Films
- Tales by Light (Season 3; Netflix Original Series): “Follow renowned photographers as they explore far-flung locales, capturing extraordinary images that present nature and culture in a new light.”
- The Casketeers
- Wolf (BÖRÜ)
- Hi Score Girl
- The Magicians (Season 3)
- Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown (Season 1)
- Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War
- Alexa & Katie (Season 2; Netflix Original Series): “Alexa is battling cancer. But with her best friend, Katie, by her side, she’s also starting high school — and ready for whatever comes next.”
- Instant Hotel
- Selection Day (Netflix Original): “When a 14-year-old boy tries out for Mumbai’s under-19 cricket team and meets his older brother’s rival, everything in his world begins to change.”
- Yummy Mummies (Netflix Series): “Yummy Mummies follows four glamorous mums-to-be navigate pregnancy and make elaborate plans for motherhood with outrageous opinions of what to expect while they’re expecting.” – 7 Plus
- The Autopsy of Jane Doe
- The Bill Murray Stories: Life Lessons Learned From a Mythical Man
- Watership Down (Netflix Original Limited Series): “A warren of rabbits battles many threats on their daring journey to find a new home in this adaptation of the classic novel by Richard Adams.” Featuring the voices of James McAvoy, Nicholas Hoult and John Boyega.