As Netflix preps for its upcoming battle against Disney’s streaming service and Hulu joins forces with the Mouse, Amazon looks to attract its own audience with a combination of original and well-made programming, brand new movies for streaming, and free shipping on assorted hand towels.
This July, Amazon Prime adds a handful of features and series to their growing catalogue of original programs. On July 3, Mike Leigh offers his take on the Peterloo Massacre of 1819 with Peterloo, in which a cavalry attacked a crowd of 60,000 protesters in what is regarded as one of the bloodiest chapters in Brit history.
On July 26, Amazon will unleash The Boys on Prime. The new original series takes aim at the superhero genre as it examines what happens when heroes get Insta-famous. As the powerful superhumans begin to buy their own hype, the heroes start to take advantage of their situation, their powers and their influence on pop culture. Created by Evan Goldberg, Eric Kripke and Seth Rogen, the series stars Karl Urban, Chace Crawford, Jennifer Esposito, and Elisabeth Shue.
In addition to their high-profile fare, Amazon is also offering a little something for everyone with new series of all genres. For the indoor kids, martial arts and dumpling loving panda Po returns for Kung Fu Panda: The Paws of Destiny, in which the Kung Fu master teaches a quartet of young cubs the ways of the Dragon Master.
If animated panda bears are not to your kids’ liking, Amazon also offers the third season of Dino Dana on July 26.
And for reality junkies, Comicstaan is a nine-episode series in which ten would-be comedians duke it out for the future of funny and a chance to hit the big time.
And finally, for sports fans, All or Nothing is a deep dig sports series that goes off the field and into the politics behind NFL franchises. For the fourth season, the series will spotlight the Carolina Panthers.
On the new feature front, A24’s Under the Silver Lake is a neo-noir dark comedy about a man who takes it upon himself to look into the disappearance of his attractive neighbor. Starring Andrew Garfield, Riley Keough, and Topher Grace and written-directed by It Follows mastermind David Robert Mitchell, the pic competed for the Palme d’Or at this year’s Cannes.
New movies added to Prime also include Serenity (2019), Never Grow Old (2019), the revamp of Hellboy (2019), and The Haunting of Sharon Tate (2019).
*All descriptions below are from the Amazon Prime site unless otherwise noted.
- Under the Silver Lake (2019): “From the dazzling imagination that brought you It Follows comes a delirious neo-noir fever dream about one man’s search for the truth behind the mysterious crimes, murders, and disappearances in his East L.A. neighborhood…” – Official site
- Phoenix (2014)
- Peterloo (Amazon Original movie): “Internationally acclaimed and Oscar-nominated filmmaker Mike Leigh portrays one of the bloodiest episodes in British history, the infamous Peterloo Massacre of 1819, where government-backed cavalry charged into a peaceful crowd of 60,000 that gathered in Manchester, England to demand democratic reform.”
- Kung Fu Panda: The Paws of Destiny (Amazon Original series): “Four young pandas go on the adventure of a lifetime after they accidentally absorb the chi of ancient Kung Fu masters and convince Dragon Master Po to teach them Kung Fu. As they train in secret in Panda Village, an ancient evil, in the form of a peaceful monk, awakens and will stop at nothing to steal their chi and use it to rule the world.”
- Marshall (2017)
- Witless Protections (2008)
- Trapped (Season 2)
- Gone Baby Gone (2007)
- Comicstaan (Season 2; Amazon Original Series): “Comicstaan is a nine episode series that brings together Biswa Kalyan Rath, Tanmay Bhat, Sapan Verma, Kaneez Surka, Kanan Gill, Kenny Sebastian and Naveen Richard to find the next big name in stand-up comedy.”
- Never Grow Old (2019)
- No Vacancy (1999)
- Tabaluga (2018)
- Love Happens (2009)
- Trading Paint (2019)
- All or Nothing (Season 4; Amazon Original Series): “All or Nothing is the first series to take viewers inside the locker room, on the sidelines and off the field for an unprecedented look inside an NFL franchise’s complete season.”
- Time Freak (2018)
- Serenity (2019)
- Hellboy (2019)
- The Boys (Debut; Amazon Original Series): “The Boys is an irreverent take on what happens when superheroes, who are as popular as celebrities, as influential as politicians and as revered as Gods, abuse their superpowers rather than use them for good. It’s the powerless against the super powerful as The Boys embark on a heroic quest to expose the truth about “The Seven,” and their formidable Vought backing.”
- Dino Dana (Season 3; Amazon Original series): “Dana is a girl who loves dinosaurs. Her life changes forever when she’s given a Dino Field Guide, which not only teaches her new things about dinosaurs, but gives her the power to imagine dinosaurs into real life.”
- A Vigilante (2019)
- After Darkness (2018)
- The Haunting of Sharon Tate (2019)
- A Very Brady Sequel (1996)
- A Viking Saga: The Darkest Day (2013)
- Arctic (2018)
- American Heart (1992)
- Chinese Box (1997)
- Corpse Bride (2005)
- Dumb and Dumber (1994)
- Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd (2003)
- Eight Men Out (1988)
- Furry Vengeance (2010)
- Good Advice (2001)
- Hackers (1995)
- Ingenious (2009)
- Jeepers Creepers 2 (2003)
- Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love (1996)
- My Bloody Valentine (2009)
- Rat Race (2001)
- Rosemary’s Baby (1968)
- S.W.A.T. (2003)
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)
- Star Trek: First Contact (1996)
- Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)
- Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)
- The Cutting Edge: Going for the Gold (2006)
- The Rainmaker (1997)
- Tracker (2010)
- Twelve Monkeys (1995)
- Urban Cowboy (1980)