|Selections by Stefan Blitz and Elizabeth Weitz|
This Sunday is Father’s Day, an actual holiday, dedicated to selling neckties.
And while most dads (or paternal figures) are likely happy with an afternoon in their man cave or an uninterrupted bowel movement, here are some of our suggestions that would make the most of the day.
With seven CDs and two DVDs that deliver over 12 hours of prime Richard Pryor hilarity – both familiar and rare – spanning from 1966 to 1992, this essential collection features the best recordings from his early years as a still-developing stand-up, his ’70s-early ’80s glory years as a profane-but-profound comic icon, and one of his final onstage performances in 1992. The deluxe book contains rare photos, multiple essays, exclusive celebrity tributes, a discography, a filmography, and a personal note penned by Richard’s widow, Jennifer Lee Pryor. This is the most comprehensive collection ever devoted to the greatest comedian who ever lived and includes nearly two hours of previously unreleased material. DVDs include three complete concert films: Richard Pryor Live In Concert, Richard Pryor Live On The Sunset Strip and Richard Pryor… Here And Now. The CDs collect the best material from Pryor’s classic albums for the Laff, Stax and Warner Bros. labels, including: Richard Pryor, ‘Craps’ (After Hours), That Nigger’s Crazy, …Is It Something I Said?, Bicentennial Nigger, Wanted/Richard Pryor – Live In Concert, Live On The Sunset Strip, Here And Now, as well as tracks released only on the following compilations …And It’s Deep Too! The Complete Warner Bros. Recordings (1968-1992) and Evolution/Revolution: The Early Years (1966-1974).
Personalized Superhero Art
(Help make your dad into the superhero he already is)
Now you can become the Superhero in this stunning piece of comic book art. Hand illustrated by our professional artists and made from your photo. Makes the perfect gift for geeks, dads, or comic lovers of all sorts.
It’s the best and brightest moments from Wolverine’s long and storied history, presented in a gorgeous oversized slipcased hardcover and packed with dozens of extras, just in time for Logan’s triumphant return to the big screen! Witness sickly James Howlett’s transformation into the battle-hardened Logan, and then into the metal-clawed super hero called Wolverine! Experience Logan’s struggles to learn the ways of honor, control his bestial nature, and deal with a litany of friends and foes from his checkered past! Thrill to his near-fatal encounter with Magneto! And be there as Wolverine takes on the responsibility of mentoring the next generation…and opens a school! Featuring some of the legendary names in comics to have ever worked on Wolverine, including: Chris Claremont, Warren Ellis, Mark Millar, Jason Aaron, Barry Windsor-Smith, Frank Miller, Jim Lee, Adam Kubert, Andy Kubert, Paul Jenkins, Larry Hama, Dave Cockrum, Lienil Yu, Kaare Andrews & Chris Bachalo.
The Wolverine: Adamantium Collection HC stands over 1 ft. tall and weighs in at 16 lbs! Each copy includes a code for a free digital copy on the Marvel Comics app and Marvel Digital Comics Shop at no additional cost.
COLLECTING: Origin 1-6; material from Marvel Comics Presents (1988) 72-84; Uncanny X-Men (1963) 162, 205, 268; Wolverine (1982) 1-4; Wolverine (1988) 75, 119-122; Wolverine (2003) 32; Wolverine & The X-Men 1-3
(‘Cause the man might need a bit of help):
This all-natural set was created by a mechanic who let his dirty, damaged paws drive his inspiration to design products for dudes. The manly salves, scrubs and balms included are specially made to meet the needs of the working man. From soothing sore feet, to healing cracked lips and knuckles, to buffing the dickens out of dry skin, this kit goes beyond simple cleansers to get the job done. Handmade in the USA.
Known for his natural and sincere portrayals on the silver screen, Academy Award® Winner Henry Fonda was equally adept at dramatic, romantic and comedic roles, often playing strong, thoughtful men of integrity. With a career spanning nearly half a century and more than 80 films, he developed a worldwide fan following as one of Hollywood’s most beloved actors…and left a legacy of truly memorable motion picture performances.
The Henry Fonda Film Collection features:
- Jessie James: The legend of Jesse James stars Tyrone Power as the most infamous bandit in the history of the West. Jesse James was a young Missouri farmer forced outside the law after ruthless agents for the transcontinental railroad kill his ailing mother and steal his family’s land. Together with his brother Frank (Henry Fonda), Jesse forms a gang of masked outlaws to strike back at the railroad company and the banks that have joined forces to swindle the oppressed farmers.
- Drums Along the Mohawk: Lawless frontier. Indian attacks. Settlers protecting themselves the only way they know how-with guns and courage. In the years before the Revolutionary War, the East was as wild as the West would be one hundred years later. Henry Fonda delivers one of his most memorable performances ever as a young frontier leader protecting his family in the backwoods of New York state. Claudette Colbert so-stars as his spirited wife. With a fine supporting cast that also includes Edna May Oliver and John Carradine, this is one of John Ford’s most exciting historical dramas.
- The Grapes of Wrath: This remarkable film version of Steinbeck’s novel was nominated for seven Academy Awards, including for Best Picture, Actor (Henry Fonda), Film Editing, Sound and Writing. John Ford won the Best Director Oscar and actress Jane Darwell won Best Actress for her portrayal of Ma Joad, the matriarch of the struggling migrant farmer family. Following a prison term he served for manslaughter, Tom Joad returns to find his family homestead overwhelmed by weather and the greed of the banking industry. With little work potential on the horizon of the Oklahoma dust bowls, the entire family packs up and heads for the promised land, California. But the arduous trip and harsh living conditions they encounter offer little hope, and family unity proves as daunting a challenge as any other they face.
- The Return of Frank James: Fabled Missouri outlaw Frank James, brother of the legendary Jesse James straps on his six-shooters and rides out for revenge in director Fritz Lang’s The Return of Frank James, the thrilling 1940 sequel to the Western classic Jesse James. From the green Missouri hills to the rugged Rockies their steps are dogged by Frank James, riding hard on the vengeance trail in the wild and woolly era when there was no law for folks except at the end of a gun.
- Immortal Sergeant: Just a few months before entering the Service in a real-life role, Henry Fonda starred in this movie as a shy, self-doubting corporal who is thrust into a life-and-death position of leadership when his sergeant is killed. The danger and hardship of desert warfare are brought vividly and realistically to life in this production, one of the better war movies made during World War 2, Co-starring Maureen O’Hara, Immortal Sergeant is as thrilling as it is inspirational.
- The Ox-Bow Incident: Two drifters are passing through a Western town, when news comes in that a local farmer has been murdered and his cattle stolen. The townspeople, joined by the drifters, form a posse to catch the perpetrators. They find three men in possession of the cattle, and are determined to see justice done on the spot.
- My Darling Clementine: Henry Fonda, Victor Mature and Walter Brennan star in John Ford’s acclaimed film that climaxes with the famous gunfight at O.K. Corral. As Wyatt Earp (Fonda) and his brothers head for a peaceful life of ranching in 1880’s California, tragedy moves Wyatt to pin on a badge once more. But when he becomes the law in Tombstone, home to Doc Holliday (Mature) and the Clanton boys, it’s only a matter of time until the Earps and Doc face the Clantons in one of the most remembered battles of the Wild West. Featuring Linda Darnell and Ward Bond, My Darling Clementine is considered to be one of Ford’s finest films.
- Daisy Kenyon: Torn between two men-one, a married attorney, the other, an unmarried veteran-a commercial artist finds herself in the middle of a dangerous love triangle when she does the right thing” and marries the veteran.
- The Longest Day: The Longest Day is a vivid, hour-by-hour recreation of June 6, 1944 Allied invasion of France, which marked the beginning of the end of Nazi domination over Europe. The attack involved 3,000,000 men, 11,000 planes and 4,000 ships, comprising the largest armada the world has ever seen. Featuring a stellar international cast, and told from the perspectives of both sides, it is a fascinating look at the massive preparations, mistakes, and random events that determined the outcome of one of the biggest battles in history. Winner of two 1962 Oscars (Special Effects and Cinematography), The Longest Day ranks as one of Hollywood’s truly great war films.
- The Boston Strangler: A schizophrenic plumber is responsible for strangling several Boston women, but goes undetected until he is arrested for breaking and entering.
Camera Table Dolly
(Will make those home movies look professional)
You know that nauseous feeling you get while watching your family’s shaky home videos?
The one that you always blame on your parents’ stunning fashion choices?
The Camera Table Dolly is here to make sure your videos don’t come with a side effect of nausea.
While it won’t teach your parents how to dress, it will give your videos a smooth, professional look.
Just twist your camera onto the dolly and you’re ready to roll!
The dolly’s two sets of rotating wheels ensure the smoothest of panning — and its industrial grade aluminum base can stand up to the heaviest of equipment.
The Table Dolly’s friction arm adjusts so you can shoot straight up, straight down, or anywhere in between! Just tighten the joints to lock your camera into place. Or, use the dolly without the arm and add a ball head tripod mount to support larger lenses.
Shoot cinematic 360 degree panoramas. Smoothly approach your subject (don’t just zoom!). Attach a light and watch it dramatically pan over your subject.
Roll along with the ball in a soccer game.
Chase small children (only if you know them)!
The possibilities just might actually be endless.
The definitive oral history of heavy metal, Louder Than Hell by renowned music journalists Jon Wiederhorn and Katherine Turman includes hundreds of interviews with the giants of the movement, conducted over the past 25 years.
Unlike many forms of popular music, metalheads tend to embrace their favorite bands and follow them over decades. Metal is not only a pastime for the true aficionados; it’s a lifestyle and obsession that permeates every aspect of their being. Louder Than Hell is an examination of that cultural phenomenon and the much-maligned genre of music that has stood the test of time.
Louder than Hell features more than 250 interviews with some of the biggest bands in metal, including Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Spinal Tap, Pantera, White Zombie, Slipknot, and Twisted Sister; insights from industry insiders, family members, friends, scenesters, groupies, and journalists; and 48 pages of full-color photographs.
Tell the world who your dad is through binary code
It is the natual evolution of things. We wreak havoc as kids, we grow up, get jobs (hopefully) and sometimes have kids of our own and complete the cycle to adulthood. Ok well maybe not the adult part. We all like to play with gadgets and toys, whether we’re 8 or 80, otherwise we wouldn’t be here, would we? But for those lucky ones who have the joy of a rugrat or two following in your footsteps, you’ve got something to be proud of for once. For the tech-savvy dad, the Binary Dad t-shirt is a perfect gift for Father’s Day.
100% cotton heavyweight t-shirt in very dad-friendly blue with “DAD” in binary printed on the front in white.
Alas, Whore Island is only a fictional place that Archer’s mind wanders off to from time to time. But if it were real we would like to think it would have one hell of a gift shop! With that in mind Factory Entertainment has crafted this ‘souvenir’ towel that can be your very own Whore Island keepsake. Enjoy recounting to your friends your exploits on this exotic isle… but be safe, the only ‘souvenirs’ you want to bring back from this place are the ones from the charming boutique in the airport, ohh, and perhaps some strong antibiotics.
F Bomb Paperweight
To help dad keep track of all the bills he has because he had you
It’s never easy dropping truth bombs in the office. But “f” bombs? Always explosive fun! Fred Conlon’s recycled steel sculpture lightens up desk-side chats and tough conversations with a delightfully abstract expletive appropriate for any situation. Handmade in Utah.
One man against a cruel system. Robert Redford stars in this potent drama based on the real life story of Tom Murton, the prison superintendent who rocked Arkansas politics when he exposed scandalous abuses and murders in a state prison. Posing as a new prisoner, Brubaker (Redford) discovers vast corruption in a state penitentiary before revealing himself to be the new warden. His personal crusade to bring reform puts him in grave danger, especially when he insists on exposing a series of secret murders that took place years earlier. Powerful and disturbing, Brubaker won acclaim for its gritty realism and Oscar-nominated screenplay. Extras include trailer and tv spots.
The earliest adventures of Superman, from his 1938 debut through 1940, are collected for the first time together in one massive hardcover. In these early stories, Superman battles social injustice and political corruption, fighting for the common man. Includes the origin of Superman and the first appearances of Lois Lane and Lex Luthor. Superman: The Golden Age collects ACTION COMICS #1-31, SUPERMAN #1-7, and NEW YORK WORLD’S FAIR COMICS #1-2. Included is a foreword and afterword by Jim Steranko.
The life and times of the legendary Mexican revolutionary Emiliano Zapata are brought to the screen in Darryl F. Zanuck’s powerful production of John Steinbeck’s screenplay. Marlon Brando, fresh from his success in A Streetcar Named Desire, gives a stunning portrayal of the outlaw turned revolutionary leader. The film also boasts Anthony Quinn’s 1952 Best Supporting Actor Oscar-Winning performance as Zapata’s brother. Viva Zapata! is one of the classic political movies and another fine example of Brando’s genius as a film actor.
In Dad is Fat, stand-up comedian Jim Gaffigan, who’s best known for his legendary riffs on Hot Pockets, bacon, manatees, and McDonald’s, expresses all the joys and horrors of life with five young children—everything from cousins (“celebrities for little kids”) to toddlers’ communication skills (“they always sound like they have traveled by horseback for hours to deliver important news”), to the eating habits of four year olds (“there is no difference between a four year old eating a taco and throwing a taco on the floor”). Reminiscent of Bill Cosby’s Fatherhood, Dad is Fat is sharply observed, explosively funny, and a cry for help from a man who has realized he and his wife are outnumbered in their own home.
Bruce Willis is back in action – mind-blowing, heart-stopping, rip-roaring action – as John McClane, the heroic New York cop with a knack for being in the wrong place at the right time. John’s latest predicament takes him all the way to Russia to track down his estranged son, Jack (Jai Courtney), who has been imprisoned in Moscow. But the mission takes a deadly turn as father and son must join forces to thwart a nuclear weapons heist that could trigger World War III! Extras include Theatrical Version and Unrated Extended Cut, featurettes, commentary, deleted scenes and more.
The Book Book
It’s an iPhone case and wallet All-in-One! Plus it will find your wallet if you lose it around home.
Wallets and phones go hand in hand. You rarely leave home without the two of them. Now you can carry both in one BookBook made exclusively for iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. This little book has a convenient ID window and slots for your debit/credit cards, reward cards and cash. Instead of grabbing your wallet, phone and keys when you walk out the door, simply grab BookBook and your keys.
Protect your iPhone between two hard-back covers. Fold the covers back-to-back to talk. It feels great in your hand. BookBook allows edge-to-edge iPhone access. No frames in the way of your thumbs here. You can access all iPhone controls and ports with BookBook. Charge, sync and use the headphone jack while your iPhone is safe and sound in its phone book.
Ever lose your wallet? Wish you had an Apple-designed GPS locator to find it? Combining your wallet and iPhone in BookBook for iPhone has more advantages than just convenience. Using Apple’s Find my iPhone service will now find your wallet in the couch, at the bar or wherever your adventures took you that you can’t remember. Now if you could just locate those keys.
Nominated for five Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best director and Best Actor, The Verdict is “stirring, entertaining cinema” (US)! This Blu-ray – release is packed with compelling special features including on-camera interviews with Oscar winner Paul Newman and legendary director Sidney Lumet and is the perfect way to experience one of the finest courtroom movies ever made.
Frank Galvin (Newman) is a boozy washed-up attorney with a losing streak a mile long. so when he’s handed a lucrative out-of-court settlement, everyone expects him to take the money and run. But Frank is tired of running. In a desperate bid to reclaim his self-respect, he recklessly brings the case to court – only to discover that if finding the whole truth is a little like trial and error, then finding real justice is a lot like trial by fire. Extras include Paul Newman: The Craft Of Acting, Milestones In Cinema History: The Verdict, Sidney Lumet: The Craft Of Directing, Audio Commentary With Director Sidney Lumet and Star Paul Newman, and Two Additional Featurettes.
Superhero Socks (Just because every dad need one stupid present):
Geeks and sports don’t come together often, but when they do, it’s a thing of beauty. For a sports-related reason which shall remain unnamed, these socks became amazingly popular all of a sudden. You basically couldn’t find them any place online except eBay. Where you could expect to pay a couple hundred for them. Instead of dropping a couple thousand dollars to get y’all socks of questionable provenance (and cleanliness), we opted to wait until the supplier had more in, and they’re here now. Not as in-demand. Also, not several hundred dollars. We think it’s a fair trade-off.
Choose between Superman and Batman (or Wonder Woman if your dad would be into that).